Fines Frequently Asked Questions

The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service aims to make fines payment as straight forward as we can. Here, we answer your most frequently asked questions.

How do I pay my fine?

Most fines can be paid either online at pay a fine or by phone -  0300 7900003 using a debit or credit card. You can also post a cheque or postal order to the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service, Central Processing Unit, PO Box 23, Glasgow, G5 9DA or go in person to any Scottish court using any of these payment methods.

However, if you are paying a fixed penalty where a licence requires to be endorsed, for example for speeding or going through a red light, you will need to present your licence either in person or by post.

I tried to pay a fine online but it came up as not found and I am worried about missing the payment deadline.

It can take up to seven days to update police ticket information. If you are experiencing any difficulty in making payment and are worried about missing your deadline, contact your local court and speak to a member of staff in the Fines Office.

Can someone else pay my fine for me?

Yes, someone else can pay your fine for you using cash or their cheque / credit card. If your licence requires to be endorsed, the person will require to present f your licence on your behalf. If the points endorsed on the driving record take the total to 12 or more you would be cited to court to be disqualified from driving.

I received a speeding ticket, but need to apply for a new licence before I can pay my fine.

You should apply for a new licence as soon as you possibly can. The court can confirm what your deadline is, but the system is automated and we cannot extend a payment deadline.

I am struggling financially to pay my fine, what can I do?

If you are genuinely struggling to pay your fine, you can contact the relevant court and speak to a Fines Enforcement Officer. It may be possible to arrange a payment plan involving a series of instalments.

I received a warning letter saying that my bank account might be frozen, my car could be clamped or my earnings or benefits deducted. I don't want that to happen, what should I do?

A. Make payment or contact your local court to speak to a Fines Enforcement Officer as soon as possible. They can set-up a payment plan with you to prevent enforcement action being taken.

If you have any other questions please contact your local fines enforcement team.

Right-hand Menu

Find and contact your court