We use cookies to collect anonymous data to help us improve your site browsing experience.

Click 'Accept all cookies' to agree to all cookies that collect anonymous data. To only allow the cookies that make the site work, click 'Use essential cookies only.' Visit 'Set cookie preferences' to control specific cookies.

Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


What can we help you with today?

Skip to main

European small claims procedure

information icon

The information set out below has to be considered in the context of the United Kingdom leaving the EU on 31 December 2020 ('IP Completion Day'). If you are unsure what to do after IP Completion Day you may wish to consider seeking appropriate legal advice and the Law Society of Scotland can provide contact details for solicitors in your area.

Please note, the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service staff are unable to provide legal advice.

What is the European Small Claims Procedure?

The European Small Claims Procedure was introduced by EC Regulation 861/2007 and applied between European Union member states (except Denmark). The procedure was used for claims up to the value of €5000.

Further information on the procedure may be accessed in the European e-Justice Portal.

Practical assistance

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service staff can offer practical assistance with filling in the forms and advice on which court a claim can be raised in. However our staff cannot provide legal advice, assistance or legal assessment of a case. If you do need legal advice, the Law Society of Scotland can provide contact details for solicitors in your area.


Court fees are payable for lodging these claims in court, and the current fees can be accessed in the Sheriff Court Fees section.

You may be entitled to fee exemption, for example if you are entitled to certain state benefits. Further information can be found in the Sheriff Court Fees section or in the application for fee exemption.

You should note that these fees do not include any fees you may need to pay if you have instructed a solicitor to help you. The solicitor can give you information on these costs.